Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Flourishes' Timeless Tuesday Challenge #223


Hi everybody and welcome back for another Timeless Tuesday Challenge!  I am the hostess this week and the theme is "From The Garden".  We are challenging you to create a card or project using some kind of fruit or vegetable.  You can find all of the details here.  I cannot wait to see what everybody comes up with for this one!  I'll bet the Flourishes gallery is going to look like the most wonderful garden ever!  I decided to use the Wild for Watermelon stamp set and actually make my card base the shape of a slice of watermelon!


  It was really quite easy to get the shape by using Spellbinders' Grand Circle and Scalloped Circle Nestabilities. I used a Grand Scallop Circle, scored it in half (making sure that the bottom of the card would be sitting on two scallops to provide some stability) and then added half circles of different patterned papers.  Once I had the patterned papers cut and adhered to my card base, I added the white rick rack using some 1/8" Scor Tape....you gotta love this stuff.  It will hold anything to a card!  I stamped my sentiment on a Spellbinders Labels Eleven die cut from Classic White card stock with Versafine Onyx Black ink, sponged on some Tim Holtz distress ink in Peeled Paint, and pierced a border around the tag while it was in the die.  {A little side note here....sometimes I will use Versafine ink for my sentiments, especially if the font is bold because I have had better luck with getting good coverage.  I don't know why, but for some reason this works a little better for me so I just go with it!}  I then stamped my melon slice and seeds on some more Classic White card stock with Tuxedo Black ink, colored them with Copics and fussy cut them out.  I used a white gel pen on my colored melon slice to disguise where my red came over a bit (oops!) and to brighten it up some. A wise crafter once said, "There are no mistakes, just opportunities to embellish....lol!  So true! Ranger's Glossy Accents on the seeds and melon  gives them a little shine.  A bit of die cut vine under the melon slice and some seam binding and twine finish it off.  I actually had some green seam binding ribbon but you could easily color your own with Copic refill ink if needed.  The tag and little melon image are popped up on foam dimensionals. 


 I took a little close up of the tag....isn't that little bite out of the melon the cutest?!  It makes me hungry for watermelon, that's for sure!  Now, I am not sure if you've noticed, but there is very little coloring on this card...which is not my norm at all!  Even if you are not a huge fan of coloring, you could easily paper piece this little slice and it would be adorable!  I hope you'll join us this week, remember you could win a prize....and if you use Flourishes stamps your odds go up!  Make sure you check out all of the wonderful creations from my fellow design team members.  I am sure you will find plenty of beautiful inspiration from these talented ladies!  Also, we have a new Guest Designer for June...Berni Cuttino.  We are so happy to have you join us this month, Berni!

Katie

Supplies:                                        

  
 
 


  




Other supplies used:  Spellbinders Grand Circle, Grand Scallop Circle and Labels Eleven dies; MFT's Die-namics Fancy Flourish; Patterned Papers from MME 6x6 pads Love Me and Lost & Found Breeze collections; white rick rack-scrap; green seam binding-SU!; twine-scrap

22 comments:

  1. OMGoodness! This is too stinkin' cute! I love the rick rack trim and little watermelon seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the challenge today, Katie, and your card has me squealing. So many things I love about it - from the ric rac to the shape, to the seeds and the papers -- it is PERFECT and so CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a DARLING card!! I just loved everything about it! Someone is going to love getting this card. Awesome challenge this week and your project did not disappoint!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card - lovin the watermelon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great challenge, Katie, and I love your shaped watermelon card! It's just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ACK!! katie this is spectacular. Totally CUTE! Love love that its a slice of watermelon. You rock girlie... Just confirms why I LOVE that you are part of the FTTC. Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to one up Stacy and say, "Ack, Ack!!" This is so stinkin' cute I can't get over it! OMGoodness, Katie, your creative watermelon juices are as sweet as can be! I love this card so much I think I need to try one for myself. Bravo, on a wonderful summer card. I really look forward to seeing your work on SCS and now on the FTTC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arghh, tried to leave a comment earlier but that i-pad just doesn't like blogger at times. Girlfriend this is as sweet as the watermelon I was noshing on last night.....Love cards with shapes, and your papers, and rick rack and ALL those other fabulous details are just tooo danged cute. You are just rockin it on this Design Team!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie my girl you have knocked this one out of the ballpark. You have truly captured the essence of a watermelon in it's cutest form. My jaw hit the ground when I opened this post up. Talk about a spotlight debut! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an awesome shape card. Perfect choice of papers. Great layers, especially in the sentiment panel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good golly this is one stinkin' adorable card Katie! Totally love the watermelon slice you created using patterned paper! Absolutely fabulous! You're SO creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely FABULOUS! Saw it over on facebook and had to come over here to tell you that I totally love your watermelon card :) !!! Just brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Katie, this is the Most Cutest and Awesomest design ever!! I love how cute, cute you card and shape is! This is one of those " I wish I'd thought of that!" cards :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, Katie..... this is just fantastic! All the little details come together perfectly--- ric rac is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute idea for the watermelon stamp. YES! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a creative idea! Your card is just fabulousl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh.My.Word...seriously AWESOME project this week! LOOOOOOVE that set and what you've done with it. The plaid paper and ric-rac and PERFECT with it!! So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both of the watermelons are cute as a button.. lovin' it from the seeds to the trim.. fantastic card.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweeeet card Katie! That watermelon looks scrumptious! What a fun and unique shape! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Ever.

    ReplyDelete